Kalkandu Pongal | Happy Pongal Wishes
Kalkandu Pongal is a traditional Indian Sweet prepared during Pongal festival. The taste and flavor of this sweet dish is very unique. Kalkandu is the crystallized form of Sugar or Rock Candy. In this recipe, raw rice is cooked well and mixed with ghee, milk & powdered Kalkandu to enhance the sweetness & flavor. Try this easy recipe to make lipsmacking creamy Kalkandu Pongal & Enjoyy !
· Raw rice - ½ cup
· Moong dal / Paasi paruppu - 1 tbsp
· Ghee - 6 tbsp
· Kalkandu ( rock sugar/ sugar candy) - ¾ cup
· Sugar - ¾ cup
· Full cream Milk - 1 cup
· Cashew - 7 to 8
· Raisins - 10 to 12
· Cardamom pwd - ¼ tsp
· Saffron strands - a few
· Salt - a small pinch
1. Roast raw rice and moong dal ( paasi paruppu ) in a tsp of ghee in a fry pan till nice aroma comes.
2. 2. Add water and 1 tsp of ghee and pressure cook for 4 whishtles in low medium flame. ( it should be cooked very soft) 3. Mash it by adding milk to it.
3. 4. Powder Kalkandu ( candy sugar ) and sugar in a mixer & keep ready.
4. 5. Heat 2 tsp ghee in a fry pan.
6. Roast cashew and raisins to golden.
7. Take it aside.
8. Add the mashed pongal and stir well.
9. 9. Add the powdered Kalkandu & Sugar. ( a pinch of salt can be added to enhance the sweetness )
11.11.Heat further in low flame adding ghee in between for 4 to 5 mins. ( until it attains thick consistency )
12.Add ghee roasted cashew nuts and raisins.
13.Add cardamom pwd lastly and turn off the flame.
14.14.Mix the contents well.
15.Lipsmacking Kalkandu Pongal is ready.
16.Serve hot with a dollop of ghee & enjoy..!